This rhubarb pie is delicious, simple and gluten free with lots of whole foods and fiber rich ingredients. Too bad that rhubarb season is over, but you might still find some in the frozen section. I know I’ll look until is back in season.
🌱1 rhubarb jam batch*
🌱4 tbsp starch
🌱4 tbsp water
🌱2 cups quick oats
🌱1 cup date paste/processed dates
🌱1/2 cup coconut flakes
🌱2 tbsp nut butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Mix the starch and water and add them to the jam while still on the stove. Cook for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Mix all the crust ingredients and spread and press the mixture into a baking dish.
- Pour the jam and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to completely cool. It will thicken even more in the fridge.
If you double the crust recipe, you can make a crumble pie, as you see in the last photos. Just make small clumps and sprinkle them on top for extra goodness.
*Rhubarb Jam Ingredients
🌱1 jar/360g pure apple sauce
🌱1 cup water
- Chop the rhubarb in 2cm/1in pieces.
- Add it to a pot together with the water and simmer while stirring until half of the rhubarb dissolves. You could go on, but it will start sticking to the pot.
- Mix in the apple sauce and remove from heat after 1-2 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender for an even texture if you wish. I like it both ways.
Jams can be stored for months in sterilized jars. I sterilize mine in the oven and the caps in hot water. Then I pour the hot content in the hot jars and seal the caps. You can use this method for anything.